50 ways to save a face





Though the frequency of my blog posts suggests otherwise, I've been working in the studio nearly every day for an hour, or three on a good day. I've been painting... faces. Still. I seem to have come up with a 'face' but I don't think I've really broken through the surface. It is truly difficult to really let go, be counterintuitive, dig beneath the rubble of what is and is not good and/or acceptable. But I'm not going to stop. 

I don't know about you, but every so often I see an artist's work and a voice screams up from the depths - I want to paint like that. Of course, copying, imitating never works but it does give me hope. Reason to keep going, to be relentless and never, ever give up. Maybe this process is like evolution... never really fast enough but silent wheels turning.





















My studio is adorned by at least 50 face paintings, started after the Misty Mawn workshop late last September, and many influenced by Juliette Crane's fabulous technique classes. I haven't felt the need to show them, to anyone really. Painting is enormously good therapy, a mood stabilizer, a reason to get up extra early. A cup of coffee in hand, music/headphones and a quick washing of the brushes has become zen-like, a meditation on creativity - what at it's core and why it's so crucially critical for me to practice.






I've been painting for the sake of creating, no goals or plans. There are literally stacks - sorted by canvas size, watercolor sheets and, well, the dud pile, which is thankfully small. Each one started with a blank canvas, paint palette and brushes. (Aside from the chalk self-portrait to reflect my awful case of pink eye - the suggestion of my good friend Rachel - thank you very much).







Today I decided to go against the grain, ditch the comfort zone and try for more than variations on a single theme. And, I did a couple of crappy paintings, but then I did the one at the top of this post. And I like her. Parts of the background, technique and the face itself is starting to look different. Not sure where I go from here, but I'll figure it out. 

Comments

Patricia Mosca said…
I see YOU in the top painting! You are growing quickly! You are finding your own style! Now...say THANK YOU...I APPRECIATE THAT!! Sending lots of color your way! Pattie
Thank you very much, I appreciate you!! xoxo
Marylinn Kelly said…
It is a journey, a process, finding our style. I have been so called by illustration and illustrators in recent weeks/months and feel that I am incubating, getting ready for what will be next. Until we open the door, we don't know who will step out to greet us. Keep going on your remarkable, productive path. xo
Bluefinch said…
Girl look at that top painting and now look at Miss Red Eye. See the differences? BOTH are FABULOUS in their own ways! Not everyone has that kind of TALENT my friend! BEAUTIFUL works as ALWAYS!!
XOXO
Rachel
Caterina Giglio said…
isn't that the way it is? I do so many pieces and it is rare for me to actually feel PLEASED with one small piece... keep going.. xox
~*~Patty S said…
you are really flourishing with your faces Patti...wonderful and colorful...each with a story to tell...

Misty always says "practice practice practice" ...

thank you for sharing and for inspiring me...I really want to get unstuck here ;)

oxo
Your practice is definitely paying off, Patti! I can see a lot of growth here, and I agree with Patricia that the top one looks a bit like you. I can't believe you painted yourself with pinkeye, though- lol!
I love your little girl faces, Patty!! :))) Keep painting, and don't be afraid to post what you've accomplished. That's how you'll see how much you've grown, in time.

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

Fall Giveaway!

Patti Edmon Abstract Artist