Can't have too many junk boxes!



Most of my pre-holiday time was spent re-purposing shoe boxes, a project that turned out to be as fun as it is ecological. Your counters are probably clean and visible, free and clear of the stuff that can't be thrown out - yet - but doesn't have a home. You probably don't deal with piles of stuff, photos, coupons, receipts and papers that need to be sorted like I do. So, since our junk drawer was full I decided this would be a convenient and artistic solution. A counter-top junk box. 




I collaged the box lid with generous layers of papers and other scraps, wholey paper of course, and then painted on a coat of clear Gesso; I haven't been using it long but have fallen in love with it! Along with stabilizing the cardboard it also lets some of the papers and colors show through. Then it became like any other canvas and I had a blast, deciding on a centerpiece and trim to complete the look. I did, however, leave the insides alone, I think it's cool that on the inside it looks like, well, a shoe box.




I don't know how many empty shoe boxes are hanging around your house. I'm not a 'shoe person' but it was still easy to  round up several. After completing a few, though, I decided to find someone with smaller feet! The blue box (middle) was made as a Christmas gift for my mother; an essay I wrote for/about her was rolled up and tied with ribbon and tucked inside. The detail shot (above) is of the pink box I made for my sister-in-law, who is currently undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer. Sigh.

Rather than making resolutions (I used the same list for years:), I decided that as long as I either write, paint or create in some way every day I will be on the right path. I hope you experience happiness and an abundance of creativity throughout the new year!





Comments

oh my...you had with your title!!!!!! I love these boxes...simply gorgeous and oh yes so functional!!!!! Beautiful! Happy New Year!!!!! Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
upcycling at it's best!
Seth said…
Not only a great, practical idea...a good looking one too. Fantastic texture!
Caterina Giglio said…
I agree with Seth, great texture and so practical.. and I agree with you about your resolutions... my only resolution each year is to be happy.. xox
Karin Bartimole said…
Hi Patti, your boxes are wonderful! As bohemiannie said - upcycling at it's best! Iam so sorry to hear about your sister in law. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
It has been forever since I've been here, or made any art myself, but I have finally posted after over a year's "vacation"! I think of you often, and miss you. xoxox Karin
Olga Siedlecka said…
These upcycled boxes are both handy and lovely. Great work!

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

Fall Giveaway!

Patti Edmon Abstract Artist