Abstract Reality

In times of frustration I feel that I've painted a million pieces and am still not where I want to be. So, I recently joined psychiatrist and abstract artist Nancy Hillis' Artist's Journey. It costs more than I can afford but I reasoned that art is the blood flowing through my veins and short supply means certain annihilation. 

Looking back through my photos, I was surprised to see that I've only been 'abstract' for just over a year. As that realization settled, I started to feel justified, happy even, about my progress. And these pieces, done over the past few weeks (along with 30+ others), really are just the beginning.







Before starting this new, deeper journey with Dr. Hillis, I was focused on fewer, more layered paintings that might look good in an office or over a sofa. I don't know about you, but having a sofa in my creative vision blocks a whole lot of authenticity.










I still love these paintings but I'm surprised I didn't snap brushes by holding them so tight. I thought I was painting loosely until I 'attacked' the paper with a stressed-out vengeance. Subconscious marks and color hit the paper before I could stop and think. Yes, I said stop and think. Thinking has been the hallmark of my art career. I'd like to create works that people would love to have hanging in their homes. Or offices. But the paintings have to come from the origin - behind the sofa.



The benefits of painting nearly every day are a million-fold. It yields an abundance of expression and experimentation - and a few trash can liners. Turn up the music and let the paint fly - the frustration is gone!
I'm very interested to hear your experiences and ideas that are useful along the path toward letting go and letting it fly! And check out Nancy Hillis - she's a wise veteran for sure. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

Patti Edmon Abstract Artist

Long Time No Post