Variety is the spice


Working on a series of pieces incorporating black and white prints from the archives has kindled a deep sense of satisfaction. I haven't worked in the darkroom for nearly twenty years and I didn't start experimenting with acrylics until 2007; tying then and now together on watercolor paper, I realized that while the medium might be different I have always had the need to see what's around the next corner, behind that weathered door. 
My primary reason for using the watercolor book was because I don't need another dozen canvases loitering in the studio. I found it quite liberating, not nearly as serious as prepping a 12x12 board with gesso. A lifelong writer, I've had trouble getting art journaling to make sense; they've always been separate disciplines. Then I realized it's just about playing, experimenting and I opened the watercolor book and the fun began. 
If I had a dollar for every word I've written I'd be having lunch with Bill Gates (and picking up the tab), but even after having a blast with these pages - and I've done several - I'm not writing on them. So, does that qualify it as a journal? 



One of the, if not the, very best things about art is the endless exploration. I believe that curiosity and vision, as original as fingerprint and snowflake, but shared universally are what drive us to express. I've never had a distinct 'style' but rather a progression of approaches that only share texture, layers and paint. There isn't a lot of commonality in these two pieces, done in the same week, aside from my way of doing backgrounds. But both are the result of trying something new. I used to feel that I hadn't discovered my own voice... now I'm beginning to think I just create in many different languages. 


Comments

These visual journals are black /white but so colorful and textural...so beautiful. I am returning to some of my past works...as I set up the new studio....the possibilities given without words adds a depth o your story line. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
Laura said…
i don't think you need to write in it for it to be a journal. remember a picture is worth a thousand words and your are creating pictures that speak volumes for you.
blessings
~*~
Coach Z said…
I wholeheartedly agree with Laura. Journals that have been most meaningful were drawings, scraps of materials, old bottles, torn photos... and words here and there. Sometimes, I think too many words take away the magic... for me there is a balance.

Beautiful pages!


Please come visit me for freebies and giveaways at www.theplayoflightandshadow.com.

blessings,

Mario
Caterina Giglio said…
just love your new work... keep going! :D
~*~Patty S said…
Wonderful depth and texture in what you create Pattie ... always!
Love what you wrote here as well...I am a fan of visual journaling...in fact that is what I consider a lot of the posts where I share photos from trips and such ...
your last line "now I'm beginning to think I just create in many different languages." is just perfect!
Thanks for sharing your passion and talent and for continuing to explore ♥
oxo
Jill Zaheer said…
Whether you are working in another language or speaking in your own voice- it's all beautiful art that you are creating. Love the new black and white photo art. As for your question about journaling- it is defintely journaling. I think journaling is anything you do anywhere that's a statement of your thoughts put down in some tangible way- and dear one, you've done that!! You are so creative and talented- both in the written word and on canvas or paper or whatever medium or substrate you are working with or on!!! xo

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

Patti Edmon Abstract Artist

Long Time No Post