recycled sock inserts







































An exciting title - ha - but really just about anything fit for the recycling bin can be a substrate... Kleenex boxes, cigar boxes, puzzle pieces, or in this case, the foot-shaped inserts that came with my son's no-show socks. My photo background is also very glamorous - the underside of an old file box top - wrinkles and all.

What I find so enjoyable about these low-tech projects (thanks to Seth Apter for the term:) is that it's WAY easier to let loose and work without that tricky-thinking brain that sometimes turns into a major block.  It also makes me feel a bit better about having accumulated so many supplies that I don't often use - velvet leaves and fabric flowers, stamps, something from just about every bin and drawer in the studio. the gold half-circle with dangling coins is a vintage piece from a costume I wore, well, over 30 years ago! Did I mention it also eases my mind about being a pack rat? A watch face, mica, beads, lace and sari ribbon all add the texture and detail I so love to create.

I'll eventually get back to canvas, though once I have a background done I proceed with so much more deliberation. There is so much to be said for making art from leftovers - it's literally not possible to mess up something already destined for the recycling bin. And, they're turning out to be favorites! I've started a new tissue box book and I'm bummed that I won't be able to get to the studio for a week! But, glad for the reason - a spring break trip to a cabin in the mountains with my family and a few extras:)

It hasn't snowed in three days here so maybe spring really has arrived... hope it's there too, wherever you are! 


Comments

Hope your Spring break has been wonderful! I love making stuff from leftovers too. From another pack rat...keep up the great work...umm...I mean...play!
I believe in recycling and these latest projects you've been working on are fantastic. You have no idea how glad I am to see recycled projects being featured. And of course, they make great art, too!!
CatieAn said…
I love this project you did!! I try to push myself to make my art out of recycling stuff. I recycle and have bins of things to put into art!! MY goal for spring!! The first day of spring brough rain, hail and snow and thunderboomers!!! Today the day before Easter, it is 65 sunshine and warm!! I even hobbled outside on my crutches, drug the hose out of the garage and hosed down the patio (SHHH don't tell on me) Easter brunch with out our of town kids and kidlets can be out doors!!
I do hope your spring arrives tomorrow too!!!
~*~Patty S said…
This is my idea of great fun...how lovely you have made the simplest thing become AND saved it from the trash or recycling bin.

I often look at the openings in pasta boxes and such and think oh I should save that.

Inspiring to see you actually create something from nothing Patti!
oxo
I agree that working with found pieces that had another life before your journey. Lovely job. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez stewart

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

Patti Edmon Abstract Artist

Fall Giveaway!