I now pronounce thee finished!

Once in a while, fortune does smile; while I didn't sell any canvases at the gallery show, a woman who loved my journals was also busy with the details of her daughter's impending wedding. She commissioned me to create three projects - the guest book, a box for envelopes and a photo album.

Aside from two belts and a bag of jewelry and knowing the colors - ivory and aubergine, she gave me no direction whatsoever. Just do what you do... if you love it, I'll love it. I must admit that, four weeks before the wedding, I was a bit daunted, however, I've never turned away from a challenge.

I purchased a 9 x 12 sketch book, blank photo album and pulled a cigar box from my stash. I'd like to say that it was a breeze, but any artist who has ever had a commission with a deadline knows better.



I started on the guest book. The background was not a problem, of course, that's always my favorite part - gluing, sponging, dabbing, adding more layers.... The belt buckle decided to be the centerpiece, since no photos were to be used. I extracted it from the leather and ground the stems down, made a sheet of paper for petals and designed the rest of the cover.


I couldn't find a guest book, or journal even, with lined pages - so we (my hero-hubby Jim) printed them out and I learned just how difficult it is to glue paper to paper, evenly and without smudges. I used a jar of Yes!, recommended by a friend, and for that I was thankful - no rippling or bubbles.




I had a piece left over from the bride's dress alteration and it seemed the perfect focal point for the box cover. After I had decided on the concept, it occurred to me that the box would be open during its use, so on to more design.



I chose a cigar box because I usually use reclaimed pieces; making functional art, however, is entirely different from working on canvas. I found that adding paint didn't leave enough clearance for the lid to
open and close - at all - much less smoothly. I shaved away enough of the inside of the lid for it to work, thankfully without losing the hinges.







The photo album was the easiest piece, so I'm very happy that I saved it for last, though there always seemed to be just one more detail... I was immersed for three weeks, putting all else aside, like blog posting and visiting, staying in touch with friends, cooking and laundry.
The client was extremely pleased when I delivered what felt like a chunk of my life; the wedding was this past Saturday and I never did meet the bride, but now that they've debuted publicly I wanted to share.







Comments

Fantastic job, Patti! How lovely to have these personal and beautifully decorated items- I'm sure they were oooh'd and aaaah'd over at the wedding, and will be treasured forever. I know it was a huge amount of work, but they are just gorgeous; ya done yourself proud, girl!
gail said…
these are so charming great job!
paper-n-soul said…
Beautiful treasures, Patti. Just lovely and special.

Deb
Debrina said…
Stunning Patti! Beautiful work - you will make everybody happy with these gorgeous items. I am sure they will appreciate how hard you have worked and how splendid the final results are.
Motherkitty said…
These are exquisite! I'm sure the bride was thrilled. She will likely be thanking her mother for having the foresight to get such a talent artist to create these treasures, and thanking you every time she looks at them. Beautiful!
Karin Bartimole said…
Congratulations Patti!! Well done, these turned out truly beautifully. I know how much work, time, and heart you put into it and it shows. I'm sure they will be treasured pieces right up there with the wedding dress and all the other special moments and memories of the day!! xox K
Healing Woman said…
I am sure your client, her daughter and all the wedding guests loved these three unique creations. You really pulled it together well. Commissions are so difficult. I shudder a lot of the time when people ask me to do them. Yes, it's a challenge but you have to step inside the other person's mind.

I love the way you pronounced them finished. Sometimes that is hard to do as well. But, the satisfaction that comes when you feel like you created your best is worth it all. You surely must be proud.
Debby said…
WOW!!! This is just amazing and such a beautiful keepsake treasure.
Congrats..
Debby
Caterina Giglio said…
wonderful commission and wonderful work Patti! xo
Seth said…
These are absolutely gorgeous. And I am sure these will be a hit at the wedding!
Kathy said…
Wow Patti, these are all beautiful. I like the box best, if I had to pick. I know that these treasures will be loved and admired for years to come.
Gaby Bee said…
WOW, beautiful work, Patti! Each one is quite unique and wonderfully detailed and I'm sure all loved these awesome creations!
Ragamuffin Gal said…
So lovely ~ I bet the bride will be thrilled! Awesome trio of treasures!
Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

Patti Edmon Abstract Artist

Fall Giveaway!