Cigar, Cigarillo?

Having finished the 12 x 12 canvases that consumed the month of July and part of August, I was thrilled. Then I decided to have some fun. The local gas station sells cigarillos in a variety of interesting flavors, peach, strawberry, white grape... I can't imagine what they must taste like but I'll bet the nice Indian man who owns the place can't imagine why I keep asking for the empty boxes! I had to let sit for a day or so with the lid open to air it out! No more grape scent and I went to town, gluing, grabbing scraps and odds/ends that I've had sitting for quite a while.





Voila! The finished result is a half inch thicker thanks to all the layers, which also add stability, and hides the ink on the box. I have more junk jewelry than the law allows, or if there were a law I might be in violation. I've had my eye on the earring that I dismantled for the centerpiece; in the same family is a bracelet with some cool stones in the same 'family.' Below is the original piece:)






I had so much fun that I immediately started on a second one, which is a prayer box for my friend whose mother passed away unexpectedly, earlier this summer, and now her daughter is visiting a pediatric cardiologist. Needless to say, she has been on my mind a lot and I know it isn't a 'fixer' but hopefully it will generate good energy.




I plan to give it to her tomorrow night when we have a 'porch chat' and I'll have to take photos; they have one of the many gorgeous porches in this old neighborhood, wide with plenty of room for a small party. (Hopefully it won't be a hundred degrees:) We're having our porch replaced so I missed out this summer, but next year we'll be up to standard and will get to enjoy sitting out front, chatting with neighbors, exercising my eyeballs while they walk and walk....





Though the heat here (and most everywhere) has been oppressive, I am going to miss summer. So much of my relaxation and inspiration came while at the lake house, out in my favorite cove floating, gazing up at the clouds and thinking about.... absolutely nothing. It's no wonder I feel so much better when we're down there - now that school has started, routines are in vogue again and so is getting up 2 hours earlier than I need to, which is not my idea of a good time! I have a feeling that many art moms out there are struggling through the same transition, enjoying a bit of free time but not the rigors of a regimented day.


Oh, just in case you aren't on Michael deMeng's email list, you have to check out his new Shades of Alchemy iPhone app! For a very modest price you can summon the recipe for the "uszhhh" with the touch of a button. If you haven't experienced it - or Michael deMeng before, make sure to check it out! He's a fabulous workshop teacher, all around great guy and mega-talented assemblage artist. The color I mentioned is the coolest way to age paper and a great wash for any media. Hey, I used it on the cigar box!

Thankfully, I have an iPhone and will have the app up and running in the morning. He has plans in the works for non-iPhoners, so check out his Assemblog site for more info. Thanks Michael!

Comments

Diane said…
These are brilliant--I love altering all types of boxes too--they're addictive!!
Wow, you get cigar boxes FREE? They want $5.00 a box where I live. You are so sweet to do this for a friend who seems to have had more than her fair share of sadness and stress. And the box may not be a cure all, but it is certainly very lovely and so well made, I know your friend will cry when she sees it.
Healing Woman said…
So nice of you to give your beautiful box to your friend. I too, love cigar boxes. As a matter of fact I think you would enjoy the link I posted on my blog of a story of when I found a whole garage full by a very strange circumstance!
Seth said…
That cigar box is really beautiful. I love the details that can be seen in the close up shot.
Debrina said…
Patti - I love it! I saw it on Face Book and just had to come over here to comment! :-)
it's absolutely beautiful.
I love the colors and all the layers which add so much depth.
and the eye peeking in the center is just a perfect touch.
Kathy said…
Wow, this are something else, a fabulous treasure once you create your magic.
Caterina Giglio said…
oh looks like you ARE having great fun! so good to play after so much work!
Lani Gerity said…
Love, love, love this!
Bill said…
Stunning boxes! What a wonderful gift to give someone.
Gaby Bee said…
You never cease to amaze me! This box is fabulous...love the composition and all the delicious embellishments you've added! Brilliant!
~*~Patty S said…
amazing transformation of a humble box Patti ... Love the close up views!

Just today I took a photo of a heart shaped grass stain on a sidewalk while I was out for a walk ... AND I am a huge MdeMeng fan too!

Thank you for your visit to my Magpie's Nest :)
Anonymous said…
your box is soooo lovely!! that almost sounds "wrong" in a way but please don't take it as such. this is just GORGEOUS! lovelovelove it! one of these days, lady, when i pull my head from my arse and have some time, i'm going to put together another little box of goodies for you. it's been on my mental to do list. i say this because one of the items was an alterable box that i wanted to send.

xxo
Lydia said…
Hi patti, nice blog & good post. overall You have beautifully maintained it, you must submit your site for free in this website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

Patti Edmon Abstract Artist

Long Time No Post