The Law of Attraction

The only thing more fun than raiding the fridge is decorating it. Making magnets is one of my favorite art projects and I just shipped this small batch off to Third Street Stuff, in downtown Lexington, to see if they attract any passers-by. 
I don't know about yours, but my ancient white Kenmore looks like a study in some subcultural group that, if found in hundreds of years, would likely cause super-genius scientists to scratch their big, green, globe-shaped heads. I mean, We specialize in beans, with a vintage Texan couple? Mother heads bobbing in a coffee cup with wings - what does that have to do with finest fit and quality?! A large-headed chick in curlers and a prom dress... 


I guess the point is that they don't make sense and that's why making them is so darned much fun. Finding old puzzles with pieces big enough to fit all the 'stuff' on isn't easy, so if anyone has a stash, I'll be glad to take them off your hands! I have enough found objects, buttons, jewelry and junk to make a zillion more, so hopefully they will sell, as did the ones I put in Street Scene last fall.
The price is a bit prohibitive; I had a bit of success in reducing the labor in this batch, but it still boils down to the fact that they are 2 x 4 inch mixed media collages. I sand and layer the puzzle pieces with acrylics, gels and other media, then the fun part - finding the phrases and images that will make them just goofy enough to be appealing (to me anyway:)


But, say the word magnet, art magnet, or altered art mixed media magnet even, and most people still don't equate that with shelling out for a mini-collage. So, for now, it's a darn-tootin' good thing I have so much fun making them; maybe one day I'll figure out the profit part:)


Comments

Katiejane said…
Isn't that the real kick in the pants, figuring out the profit part? I love them and I thought you were making the puzzle pieces, not using already made ones. They look bigger. I know of Third Street Stuff. I used to buy wholesale from them and I still have a bunch of thier clocks and tree ornaments. If thier store is anything like their booth, you will do well. Good luck.
soulbrush said…
these are such a novel idea, i'd buy one for sure. thanks for visiting my new collage project, i organise mainly by size of picture, all torn not cut out neatly, but you could organise by topics, or colours etc. hope we chat some more during this journey of mine.
Karin Bartimole said…
Those are a lot of fun! Have you thought about putting pin backs on them, instead of magnets? Probably. I used to do a line of collaged magnets, too, but here's the kicker - the stainless steel appliance craze has somewhat killed the magnet biz. I have a basket full of frig magnets in my attic, because they no longer stick to my appliances, since redoing our kitchen... The same pieces I did as magnets did sell like crazy as pins, and for a couple bucks more! I don't know how ig your puzzle pieces are, but I'm assuming the right size for jewelry?! I love the last one - she is fabulous!!
jill said…
Just found this blog while going on a wander and think its great, I also have an attic where i keep all my stuff, that needs a good spring clean and you hjave inspired me to do something with all the bits I have collected over the years.
Apple said…
Those are some cute magnets. They would make good conversation pieces. :)
Ian said…
There are certainly a lot of people who collect fridge magnets.
Patti, I really admire your work, so I've nominated you for a Lemonade award. (Also we Kentuckians have to stick together, right?) To see what this is, go to my blog, sharmond.blogspot.com. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to make this a link.
BTW, I love the magnets, but then things that don't make sense are kind of my specialty, if you know what I mean.
If anyone can tell me how to put links in these comments, please let me know. Thanks!
Patti these are great. I miss having a frig to hang things on. When the kids were small I rotated every month. Now the frig I have nothing sticks to. I do have a message board that I use magnets with. Your pieces are great.
Ragamuffin Gal said…
I love decorating the refrigerator! Your magnets are very cool ~ love em! I am dying to see your refrigerator now! Blessings, Katie
Chaska Peacock said…
Patti, I love your sense of humor and your art!

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

Fall Giveaway!

Patti Edmon Abstract Artist