Here's to creating every day!


One last holiday post... a photo of the tin I made for my mom this Christmas. It gets so much harder every year to find creative ways to gift, but I knew for certain that she didn't have an altered Altoid tin. Inside is a photo of the two Alices - my mother and daughter, with mementos from this year's Nutcracker, about which I've already gone on and on.  
Over the break I spent a few hours cleaning the Altered Attic, packed away all the tissue, ephemera, ribbon and charms that I used to make Christmas  projects. And the bonus - I can now see the surface of my art table. So now I'm heading toward the new year, which doesn't officially begin until my kids return to school on Monday.
One of the moderators of my art group - 14 Secrets for a Happy Artist's Life - posted the question: What do you want to accomplish artistically this year? I thought about it for a few days before posting an answer; one of the biggest advantages of belonging to this group, which is relatively small and intimate, is that I've expanded my range of techniques and projects enormously. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I hadn't made ATCs or inchies before joining, along with some complex projects, like the Artist's Coping Tin that I still cherish. I had a fabulous experience with assemblage at Random Arts last May at a Michael deMeng workshop.
As a relatively new mixed media artist I do feel the need for focus and some kind of direction, though, maybe a way to realize growth, maybe depth, rather than expansion? That includes major amounts of experimentation, an enormous part of growth; I do get overwhelmed when I look around my studio - the papers, doll parts, rusty stuff, buttons, all the goodies just waiting... I want to do more art journaling so I've signed up for a workshop and watched some tutorials to help me get started.
I have a couple of projects on the table that still need tending to, though, so for now, my goal is to be more timely and attentive to commitments. I just posted the icon for Creative Every Day 2009, which I'd highly recommend looking into - it's people like Leah who encourage us to explore no matter which direction we choose, as long as we are mindful of creativity every single day. Thanks Leah!

Comments

Leah said…
I love the tin, Patti! It feels so wintry. And I'm thrilled you're joining in CED again this year! xoxo
Katiejane said…
Hi Patti, First let me say how much I like your little tin. I know your mom will cherish it for years to come.
Secondly, I would love to join the 14 Secrets group with you. I see that a recommendation is necessary. I hope you will consider me.
Thirdly, I am also working on a visual journal this year. So far, I am having a great time with it. I'll be posting pages of it from time to time. I like to write in mine, so I am leaving space on my pages for handwritten entries as well as collage.
And fourth, I love Eva Cassidy, that I noticed on your playlist. I have downloaded an album of hers into my iPod and just listened to it earlier today.

Good luck on all your ambitious endeavors.
Contessa Kris said…
The tin is just beautiful! I want to see the inside.

Okay, I opened the plain Moleskine, petted the pages and then wrapped it up again; afraid I'll get something on it. lol Haven't braved the watercolor one yet. I'm a chicken. I know.
Sherry said…
Hey P!!!

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Creative Everyday..going to check that out!

Are you taking Pam's art journaling workshop?! I'm taking that one -- it will be fun to be classmates if you are!!

I love the tin you did for your mother -- I'm sure it's something she cherishes!!

And by the way -- happy new year!! May it be blessedly wonderful, creative and fulfilling!
Hi Patti.
Beautiful tin gift for your mother!
Thank you for sharing the art networks and news.
Cheers, Sharon

ps Hope you are feeling better!
Anonymous said…
YOU are my FAVORITE ARTIST ! ! ! !

Love you from DH.
Barb Smith said…
I love your tin...I picked up a bunch of the "Gift Card Tins" at Wal-Mart's after Christmas sale for pennies...NOW I know what I'm going to do with them. lol Thanks!
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

Patti Edmon Abstract Artist

Fall Giveaway!