Goodbye Aunt Grey

My Aunt Grey passed away this morning. She was a second mother to me. The many characteristics and personality traits we shared bound us tight and kept me afloat during the difficult years of my life. Though her death has been expected it still caught me off guard. I visited her this past Saturday, her 85th birthday, and her body had already become like a shell, a housing for what small part of her remained in this world.

In recent days she talked about seeing a beautiful hilltop covered with flowers and a large book that contained all of our name. She had many visitors, some of whom she hadn't seen in years. It made me curious about that part of the journey; the idea that our real destination is what comes after this life is still a bit vague. But I whispered to her that I would see her there one day, kissed her cheek and said good-bye, that it was OK to go, we didn't want her to suffer any longer. I am grateful to God for answering our prayers, I just wish I felt what usually goes along with gratitude...

Comments

Dear Patti:

Aunt Grey was a beautiful, strong, intensely charismatic woman who built a life that was solid and good while overcoming obstacles that would have floored anyone else.

Clearly, she has passed on these qualities to you. In addition to the ability to nurture and find the good in others, and to see into the heart of people's pain and find gentle ways to ease their grieving; she also gifted you with the ability to tell the truth through the vision of your words and your art.

Although Aunt Grey has evolved now to a different state of being, she continues to teach all of us the meaning of living a life that is aware and connected to the heart. We cannot help but miss her deeply, but in some ways she is even a more powerful presence now.

I grieve with you.

Love & light,

Karen
Fabulous new banner! We had talked about how your Aunt Grey had given you her antique buttons and that you had been using them in your work. What a wonderful thread of connection to her in all these incredible pieces -- a great inspiration for any of us creating any kind of art. Sounds funny, but It reminds of me of comedienne Carol Burnett, who, as you may remember, used to signal her daughter when she was on air by subtly pulling on her earlobe. Wink wink! Hello Aunt Grey!

Love,

Karen Mireau
Sherry said…
My thoughts and my sympathies are with you.

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart

Fall Giveaway!

Patti Edmon Abstract Artist